How To: Bake Apple And Oat Muffins

When revision gets too much, myself and my sister get very hungry. We therefore decided to do a bit of baking. I wanted to do some sort of muffin because I did not fancy the typical, easy shortbread biscuit! We came across this particular recipe in The Great British Bake Off Everyday cookbook, but made a few tweaks.

Ingredients:

75g porridge oats
225g caster sugar
300g plain flour
200g unsalted butter
100ml milk
2 eggs
1 zest of a lemon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 medium diced apple
pinch of cinnamon

 I preheated my oven to 190 degrees celsius before doing anything. I then began by making the topping; pouring 50g of porridge oats, 50g of sugar, 50g of plain flour, and a bit of cinnamon (depends on your taste) into a mixing bowl, and then rubbing 50g of butter into the mixture to make a crumby mixture. I then put it to one side for later. Then onto the base of the muffin. I first of mixed the milk, eggs and the remanding melted butter into a jug. Then 250g of flour, 25g of porridge oats, 175g sugar, the lemon zest and the baking powder went into a large bowl, and followed by the milky concoction. Mixed until roughly smooth (bar the oats!)
 I evenly distributed the final mixture into 12 muffin cases, topped them with bits of apple, and the topping mixture from earlier, then set them in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes - give or take. Then the best bit. Eating them! They were gorgeous when warm, and with custard, but also very muffin like when cool. Yum yum yum! I kind of wish I could go back in time and eat them again! I would, however, add more apple next time I bake them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment